Friday, January 21, 2011

Since this blog focuses on other lace besides my tatting, I wanted to post this one here too. It's tatted but needle lace is part of the construction. It was added after the tatting was complete.

I used two different methods to make the "spider". Since I haven't done needle lace for awhile, it took me awhile to be consistent and even in my tension. The motif was tatted in size 20 thread and the needle lace was done in size 70 or 80 tatting thread. I wondered about hiding the ends but it's so thin compared to the size 20 that the needle slid through the tatting stitches fairly easy and I was able to hide the ends by sewing them in,much like I do with Romanian Point Lace but I had to take care in making sure I was under the double stitches or weaving in the "waistbands" of the double stitch.

I've had an idea for a long time about using needle lace in conjunction with tatting but just haven't had the time to pursue it. It will be quite a lengthy process so little bits like this one are good to get into the swing of it.

I finished another torchon bookmark tonight. It's a plaid, like the last one. It's blocking right now but will be dry tomorrow and I'll post about it then. I really like it.

1 comment:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I really like the way the spider webs fill the space! Great idea!