Karen had a video on ruching fabric recently. I wasn't planning on doing it and didn't really, but the idea of it enticed me to make a ruched flower. Actually, I was looking in my files for instructions on the Japanese Kanzashi Fabric Flower and found I had instructions for a ruched flower!
So I tried it with some crushed voile that I had. This is the first attempt. I decided I made the bottom part too long which is what makes the center. It's just too poufy here but a button in the center might fix that.
Then I stitched a second version with less fabric in length and shorter in width. It turned out much better, at least for this project. It still needs something in the middle but I don't think there is as much bulk.
I've placed the two flowers tentatively on the piece where I added a vine. I will probably remake another like the second one and use it instead of the first sample. I may add some French Knots around them too.
The Nature of a Cloth Weave
3 hours ago