Thursday, August 18, 2011

Update on RPL Hedgehog

I spent way more time this evening on a single filling than I needed to. I meant to scan this before I started the second filling and then forgot. The top filling is new for me and I'm not overly happy with the way it turned out. I'll leave it since I plan on doing more versions of this happy critter, mostly to have a sample of that particular filling stitch.

Tonight I stitched the center portion. I actually tried to do a feather stitch and it wasn't working out at all so I clipped it and started over. It's been so long since I've done an arch that I screwed up more than once, but again...I left it as a sample. The shape is what I was going after here.

I don't know yet how I'll do the bottom segment but I do know I'm going to do the entire face in ecru and in a denser stitch, probably the net stitch. I may go ahead and do that before the bottom segment which will give me more time to think about what I want to do there.

I might end up doing like I did with the bells, making several patterns to work on at once. It's helpful to have them all lined up and see what works and what doesn't. I haven't decided yet if I like it in the multicolor brown. I plan to do some in white and possibly some in a solid brown.

I'm using size 70 tatting thread for the filling and I'm wondering if that is too fine? I wanted the delicate-looking thread look but it's harder to work with. This one is very much the prototype!

2 comments:

deanna7trees said...

i'm following your little hedgehog very closely. i love the way it's turning out. i'm preparing to take a RPL class in september and have been crocheting the edging. i like that you did 2 different types of edgings on this piece. i'll keep watching. thanks for posting your progress.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your little hedgehog is progressing wonderfully! I imagine the size 70 thread can be a bit difficult to work with, especially if you're trying to decide which stitches to use.