Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I haven't had much time for stitching and have spent most of it sewing my grandson's Halloween costume (delivered last night) and tatting motifs for the dye pot. Last weekend I went to tatting guild and then afterwards, I visited a few antique and thrift shops before coming home. One place used to have a whole room FULL of linens and lace but the shop has divided into three parts now with different owners. It was a little confusing. I had inadvertantly drifted into a different shop where I found these embroideries and almost didn't pay for them in the right place!

This is the only one I bought. It's just a simple length of cotton, actually probably polyester/cotton blend, hemmed and embroidered with the pumpkin but the embroidery was so well done compared to much of what I've seen that I decided to get it and will tat or crochet an edging for it later. It wasn't very expensive either. I saw other embroideries that I would have loved to buy just to save the pattern since the fabric itself was damaged but they had some exorbitant prices so I passed. This one was only $1.50 I think.

I loved this apron and it was reasonably priced but I didn't have a lot of extra money so I passed on it too but I did take photos! It's a regular full-length apron but I loved the embroidery on it. There's also some pink ricrac along the edges but that wasn't what caught my attention. This is as close as I got to taking a full photo of it.

I was particularly intrigued by the pocket. It's placed so that it is the lady's skirt! I just thought that was clever even though I know it was commonly done, it's the first time I saw one. I really couldn't tell if this was a vintage piece or something more recent but I would guess more recent.

This is the bottom front of the apron. I love aprons, even though I never wear them. I'd be tempted with this one though.

In another booth, I found this slip/skirt. I thought it was a slip at first but why would you put a pocket on a slip? I love spider crochet and thought this insert very well done.

Here's the pocket, crocheted in the same pattern but heart-shaped. I think I'd rather see this treatment on a table cover or maybe a short jacket with the insertion not so wide, but it still impressed me with the skill used.

I haven't had an opportunity to get back to my sampler piece. I'm a little overwhelmed with things to do at the moment. My lace guild is setting up an exhibit at the Arts Center plus I'm still dealing with house/garage issues. I wish I were at least half done with Christmas gifts but I'm not even started!

No comments: